Tuesday 21 June 2011

Cheeseburger Macaroni

I was looking for something yummy and filling that my Fiance and I have been missing since I started my weight loss journey. We've been eating super healthy lately and this just seemed perfect!

I remember when I used to go visit Dan when he lived 2 hours away from me. He would cook me something similar. We would be standing in his tiny kitchen (usually a huuuge mess) and he would brown some hamburger, add lots of cheese whiz, and top it with macaroni. I would put together a ceasar salad in a pot (I know right! He had no salad bowls) and shake it to spread the dressing. We would lounge on the couch, watch a movie and eat this. Of course, me being polite never commented once on it, and ate as much as I could. It was very bland... this on the other hand, has way more flavour! So good! The chilis make it so much better!

Cheeseburger Macaroni
Serves 4 / 11 Points+

1 lb lean hamburger meat
1 pkg taco seasoning
1 can tomatoes and green chilies (or petite diced tomatoes)
2 cups water
1 cup elbow macaroni

Brown and drain hamburger meat. Stir in taco seasoning, Rotel, beef broth, and macaroni. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat and cover pan. Simmer 12-14 mins until macaroni is tender.

Meanwhile, make the cheese sauce….

2 Tablespoons butter
2 tbsp flour
3/4 cup milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Melt the butter in a saucepan. Whisk in the flour and cook, whisking for 5 minutes until fragrant and light brown in color. Whisk in the milk and bring to a boil. Whisk until smooth and thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the shredded cheddar cheese until melted. Add the salt and pepper to the cheese sauce. Pour the cheese sauce over the hamburger mixture. Stir gently to combine.

1 comment: